I couldn’t serve you up sexy with just an ordinary stir-fry and as you know I'm all about the ingredients. So I shook things up a bit by adding amazing flavor profiles that will surely became one of your quick go-to meals.
- 1¼ cups water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch / cornflour
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp. dried crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing wine) or dry sherry
- ⅛ tsp Chinese five spice powder
- ⅛ tsp tsp black pepper
- 4 - 5 cups broccoli florets (about 1½ heads of broccoli)
- 2 tbsp oil, separated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2-3 hot chilis, preferably red serranos, seeded, diced
- 12 oz / 360g beef fillet, flank, rump or any other cut of beef suitable for pan frying
- Pour the water and cornstarch into a bowl . Whisk to combine. Then add the remaining Sauce ingredients into the bowl and mix.
- Slice the beef into ¼" / 0.5cm thick slices. Place the beef and 2 tbsp of the Sauce into a bowl and set aside.
- Steam or par boil the broccoli.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok (or heavy based fry pan) over high heat until smoking.
- Add the beef and sear quickly until browned. Then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil into the wok, then add the chiles, ginger and garlic. Cook for 20 to 30 seconds until the chiles, garlic and ginger is fragrant. Add the broccoli and stir quickly.
- Pour sauce into the wok. Stir fry for 30 seconds or so - the sauce should be bubbling away and beginning to thicken. Then toss the beef back in and stir fry for another 1 minute until the sauce thickens and coats the broccoli and beef.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with brown or white rice.